Days 6-8: Skagen, then to Göteborg by ferry

When I woke up in the morning, Charlotte was still around. I left for København Hovedbanegård before she left for work, so I was able to say good-bye to her before heading out.
Finding a place to sit was a bit frustrating on the train, since I had no clue what car I was supposed to be in. I managed to find a free seat next to a pram blocking at least 4 seats -.-”
The first train took us to Aalborg. From Aalborg, I had to take a bus to Frederikshavn, and then another train to Skagen. For the latter half of my ride to Aalborg, I met a nice old lady knitting a baby blanket for her grandson, who told me about her hometown of Læsø. I’ll have to keep that Island in mind the next time I want to travel around Denmark, lol.

When we hit Aalborg, it started to rain really hard. I was completely soaked even before I got onto the bus for Frederikshavn. I also found out that my REI luggage isn’t exactly rainproof D:

So much rain D:

I arrived to my hostel around 18.30, and it was still overcast and wet outside. And, I was still damp from the rain. The lady at the front desk nearly gave me a heart attack when she told me there was no available rooms in the hostel. I was adamant that I had paid online already, and she eventually looked at her folder confirm this. I ended up with a 4-person bedroom to myself. The hostel was overrun with 12/13-year-old Danish kids, and I soon found out that I was the only non-Danish tween staying there. I didn’t mind the loudness or any of the chaos that ensued with such a large group of kids, but it was definitely a sight to behold, as kids ran around, some arguing with their chaperones, others hanging out amongst themselves, and some having a sort of dramatic moment and then crying (boys and girls alike, mind you).

After freshening up and getting settled in, I went out for a walk and to find myself some dinner. The sky was starting to clear, though it was still quite cold outside (like 11 C). I meandered a bit, trying to figure out where the downtown area was. Narrowly missed the closing of Netto for the night, and settled on the restaurant, Pakhuset, since it was one of the only places still open.
I don’t know if it was because of how I looked or that I was alone and young, but I got REALLY BAD SERVICE from this restaurant. It took them 15 minute to take my order, and I didn’t get my bill for at least half an hour. No one came to check up on me, only to serve me and take my food away, while all the tables around me were doted on. I was pretty angry by the end of it. It was one of those rare moments where I was happy I didn’t have to tip the servers.
I was proud, though, that I managed to order and do almost everything in Danish.

Afterward, I walked around some more, admiring how, at 21.00, it still looked like it was 18.00 or 19.00.

It can’t be 21.00, right?


I arrived back to my hostel around 22.00

The next day, I managed to wake up and get ready before breakfast ended. It was a madhouse outside, but I ignored the kids because I was too excited at the thought of a Scandinavian breakfast :3
I had toast and crackers with cheese and cold cuts, and müesli with sour fruit-flavored yogurt. I missed this kind of fare.
Also, I noticed that all of the kids had made sandwiches for their trip, and wrapped it in parchment paper. When the kids had left and no one else was looking, I made myself some sandwiches, as well. I noticed that there were extra types of cold cuts and some vegetables put out for these lunch-time sandwiches, much to my excitement :3
I then set out to rent a bike, and ride around town. I visited the Skagen museum, which housed many works by the Skagen artists that gave this town its claim to fame. I really like the style employed by these Skagen artists–I feel that they really do evoke certain emotions through the colors, scene, and technique chosen.


Afterwards, I biked over to the outdoor history museum, and ate my lunch proudly (no lie, I was proud because I saved myself some money, lol) before going in. Everything was in Danish, but I managed my way through most of it. Most of it was, in my opinion, rather boring, but the highlights included finding mittens and jewelry made out of hair (ew), and observing the shift in fishing techniques via cute little dioramas displayed in one of the exhibition halls.
From the hill of the history museum, I could see the sea, so I was determined to find the coast after I finished touring the museum. I finally found a walking/biking path that was right next to the (rocky) shore. I sat on the rocks and took it all in. The color of the water was gorgeous.





I picked up some postcards and stamps at the tourist information office (spoke mostly in Danish there, though I had to ask how to say “stamp” in Danish again–proud of myself anyway), and then headed home for a nap.
When I woke up, it was around 19.00, and it still only looked like it was 16.00. I got up, and went to eat at another restaurant where the service was much better.

Does that look like 19.00 to you?

I biked out to find Grenen, the place where the two bodies of water meet, and I ended up getting very, very, very lost. I was out until 22.00 or so, since it was still light out, but I kept wandering down the stony shore, getting further and further away from my bike. Eventually, I gave up, since I was rather nervous of ending up in the middle of nowhere in the dark.
I realized, later on, where I made the wrong turn and how to fix it, but i decided just to try again the next day.


Fail. But at least it was pretty!


Knowing that I had to return my bike by 11.00 and that I had to make it to my 14.00 ferry in Frederikshavn to Göteborg (and Simon!), I got a slightly earlier start. No sandwiches were made today, since there were more people out and about. I biked as quickly as I could to Grenen, and meandered down the coast to the tip of the island to watch the opposing waves crash into each other. Satisfied, I biked back into town quickly to return my rental bike, send out my postcards, and to retrieve my luggage, so I could set out for the train station to Frederikshavn.
I didn’t check the train schedule but I got SO LUCKY, since the train only runs once and hour, and it hadn’t arrived just yet. Had I got there any later, I definitely would have missed my ferry.





Upon boarding the ferry, I sat for nearly the entire 3.5 hours, and watched the most recent football match between Sweden and France, and an old BBC series, “Desperate Romantics,” the latter of which I will want to finish watching later on.
Though I love boats, time dragged on rather slowly, since I was too excited to see an old friend.

As soon as I got off the ferry, I saw Simon. It was so crazy for me to think that it had been more than 3 years since I last saw him, and that I last couch surfed with him 4 years ago. How lucky am I, that we stayed in touch all this time!

We returned to his place via tram, and watched a grumpy old man say really rude things to a woman who prevented him from sitting down on the tram.
We grabbed a bike from his friend, Ellen, and rode around Göteborg. He got to see how spastic I am on a bike that is too tall for me, but I figured out how to be more graceful on it toward the end. We biked to a lake nearby his place (tough ride uphill), to his old university, and then to grab some dinner at one of his favorite places, the Bishop’s Arms. Only with Simon would I go to a pub.
I had a very traditional Swedish meal of veal with veggies and lingonberry sauce, and a tall beer from a local microbrewery.
We didn’t get home until almost 23.00, since the light threw us off–it was still pretty bright when we arrived home.

I envy Simon, that he has nature like this so close to his house.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s